Our first, inaugural, maiden voyage on the virtual hangout train was a success! We have the technology figured out, and even tried to keep on a theme ;)
Inspired by Trey’s hangout sessions and Peter Hurley’s Ustream videos, I put together a hangout on Google+ with some photographers that I know. Hopefully this will be a fun and enlightening hangout each week on Tuesday nights! It’s streaming live to my Ustream channel, which is also pulled in to a tab on my Facebook page. So if you are a student, aspiring photographer with questions, or just want to lurk, stop by and watch Tuesday nights at 10pm EST (9 central, 8 mtn, 7 pac., etc.). I will look for questions in the ‘social stream’ on the side of the Ustream page, so you can ask/comment using Twitter, Facebook, etc. We’ll try to keep it to about an hour, and people are free to come and go.
Tomorrow I’m doing a talk/demo at Purdue on speedlights and off-camera flash, so that will be the topic next Tuesday night. Ryan Brenizer replied to my message and said he could be there, so I’m super pumped about that. He does amazing wedding photography in NYC and beyond, and is quite adept at using off-camera flash.
I haven’t decided how to pull in our hangout chatboard items, so I’m posting them here:
- I mentioned Peter Hurley‘s videos, and doesn’t he remind you of The Dude + Robin Williams?? Trey Ratcliff is at stuckincustoms.com
- Johnna Brynn mentioned she wants to do humanitarian work, and I suggested she check out David DuChemin. Also, on our topic, his book Vision Mongers is a must read for anyone wanting to merge commerce and craft!
- Johnna mentioned a branding agency, Motto. Here’s a link to their site.
- Polina Osherov told us about Design Aglow, which has all kinds of templates and materials for marketing, ad, etc.
- Johnna also does a non-profit for kids, photo therapy as StarShooter.org
- Nathan Clendenin got us talking about photobooths, and mentioned a podcast from a couple that makes them pretty profitable? (link to podcast)
- Both Nate and Johnna talked about shooting for humanitarian projects like the International Justice Mission.
- Sarah Parent was there and loves it when we make her talk a lot ;) And Jessica Rockwell loves it even more! Check out their sites, as well as Michael Meeks.
(#1: marketing, advertising, branding, etc. since a few of us did bridal shows this month).