A while back I posted about a new $150/yr. mentoring/learning program for students and anyone who wanted to learn or get experience — which could be business mentoring, basic SLR camera instruction, lighting lessons, anything. A critical piece, in my mind, for the developing photographer is learning from lots of people through a variety of methods about a variety of things. Lafayette, IN, photography classes and lessons
So here is the ever-growing list of the educational materials available for loan (at no addt’l cost) through my program:
- Hot Shoe Diaries, Joe McNally: all about lighting with Speedlights ($25 value)
- The Moment it Clicks, Joe McNally: writeups on a ton of his great photos, with lighting and other descriptions ($35 value)
- Sketching Light, Joe Mcnally’s latest book (over 400 pages) of incredible photos, lighting diagrams, and humorous anecdotes behind his experiences ($40 value)
- Vision Mongers, David DuChemin: a great book about merging craft+commerce (art+business, without simply compromising, etc.) ($35 value)
- Within the Frame, David DuChemin: about executing your vision, not obsessing over technical stuff. From the humanitarian photographer’s perspective ($35 value)
- Vision & Voice, David DuChemin:
- Photographically Speaking, David DuChemin.
- Road To Seeing, Dan Winters: one of the best portrait photographers of our time.
- 50 Portraits, Gregory Heisler: also one of the best portrait and editorial photographers of our time!
- Photographing Shadow And Light, Joey L.: good insight to his lighting setups, but also how he ‘makes it happen’ and works with clients and projects ($20 value)
- Photography Q+A: Real Questions, Real Answers, Zack Arias. All the goodies (with photos) from his popular tumblr blog by the same name. ($20 value).
- Light science & magic, 4th edition. Ins and outs of specialty lighting, like glass, metal, etc.
- Speedliter’s Handbook, Syl Arena: everything you could ever want to know about Canon speedlites. Technical approach. ($30 value)
- Fast Track Photographer, Dane Sanders: a modern day approach to planning your business, image, and marketing/branding in photography ($30 value)
- Walker Evans (biography), James R. Mellow: one of my favorite photographers from the Depression-era ($25 value)
- Foundations of a Working Photographer, a 3-day workshop in with Zack Arias. Everyone should start here! ($150 value)
- OneLight: the classic intro to off-camera flash and lighting by Zack Arias. ($150 value)
- Dave Hill: behind the scenes at various shoots
- Joe McNally: one of his lighting tutorials on using small flashes
- Annie Leibovitz At Work, Annie Leibovitz: a glimpse into the thoughts and processes behind one of our most famous modern photographers ($40 value).
- ANY selection from Craft&Vision, topical and essay-length, these focus on one aspect of photography. I have at least a dozen. ($5-$10 each). If I don’t have the one you want, I’ll buy it :)
- Food Styling for Photographers, Linda Bellingham: over 270 pages of detailed info from one of the experts! ($30 value)
- The One-Light Field Guide, Zack Arias: a quick series of lighting scenarios and how Zack lit them ($30 value)
- Back issues of Communication Arts’ annual photography issue: hundreds of pages of the best images in art and advertising ($28 each)
- Whatever other publications I have around at the time :)